Asian Spinach & Lentil Curry Recipe
Delicious, creamy lentil curry made with peanut butter.
5 tbsp creamy peanut butter
2 inch piece of fresh ginger, coarsely chopped
2 cloves of garlic
1 tbsp soy sauce
1 to 2 tsp lime juice
Zest of ½ a kaffir lime
2 tbsp chopped cilantro
¼ tsp tamarind paste
2 to 3 tsp Sriracha sauce
¼ tsp or more chilli powder
¼ tsp salt
1 tbsp sugar
½ tsp sesame oil
1 cup coconut milk
½ cup red lentil, soaked
1½ cups water
2 tsp oil
⅓ cup sliced white onion
3 cups of spinach, roughly chopped
Toasted peanut to garnish
All ingredients are available at Foodhall stores.
1. In a food processor, blend together peanut butter, ginger, soya, lime zest and juice, cilantro, tamarind paste, Sriracha sauce, chilli powder, sesame oil, coconut milk, salt and sugar. Taste to adjust the flavours. It should be a balance of sweet, spicy, salty, and sour.
2. Cook the lentils in water with some salt and sugar, over medium heat for 10 minutes. The red lentils will cook to just about done. Drain and keep it aside.
3. Meanwhile, in a large pot, heat the oil and add onions. Cook until translucent.
4. Add the spinach and let it slightly cook down.
5. Add the peanut sauce and mix well. Add the lentils and stir it together. Reduce heat to medium and bring the sauce to a boil.
6. Taste and adjust salt, sweet and spice. Check if the lentils are cooked to preference. Cook longer for softer lentils.
7. Take it off the heat. Garnish with toasted peanuts serve over rice.