Ayurvedic Green Khichadi Bowl Recipe
Staple of healing Ayurvedic cuisine made of lentil and rice cooked together until just short of mush, which is easier for the body to digest and absorb the nutrients. The spice have digestive properties, and ghee helps lube up our tubing and allows fat-soluble nutrients to assimilate.
Preparation Time – 10mins
Cooking Time – 50mins
1 cup dried whole green mung lentil
1 cup long grain brown rice
3 tablespoons ghee
1 tablespoons grated fresh ginger
1 teaspoon cumin whole (for tempering)
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
5 cups vegetable stock or water
2 cups broccoli, finely chopped
1 cup packed baby spinach roughly chopped
1/2 cup moringa leaves, chopped
2 tablespoon fresh coriander, chopped
Sea salt as per taste
1 teaspoon cracked black pepper
Plain full-fat Greek yogurt for serving
- Rinse and soak the green lentil and rice for 30 mins. Heat ghee and temper with cumin seed. Add the ginger and stir in the cumin, coriander & turmeric powder and cook for until fragrant.
- To the above add mung lentil and rice, salt and pour vegetable stock. Bring to a boil and simmer for 35-40 mins, stirring occasionally.
- Cook until the lentil and rice are tender & cooked and most of the liquid absorbed (can add more liquid as required).
- Stir in all the green vegetables and simmer for another 10mins. Viscosity to be like a thick batter consistency.
- Adjust seasoning and serve with fresh cilantro sprinkled on top along with plain yogurt.