Your cart is empty now.
Sage & Onion Chicken Roast by Chef Jason Desouza | Recipe
- Whole Chicken w/ Skin, 1.2kgs
- French Baguette, 1
- Red Onions, 3
- Leeks, 3, sliced
- Sage Leaves, 50g
- Garlic, 8 cloves
- Ginger, 1"
- Red Chillies, 4, fresh
- Salted Butter, 100g
- Celery Sea Salt, to taste
- Black Pepper, to taste
- Parsley, to garnish
- Olive Oil, 15ml
For the marination + stuffing:
- In a cast-iron pan, heat olive oil and half the salted butter.
- Add in slit fresh red chilies and finely chopped ginger and garlic. Sauté in the buttery emulsion.
- Add in the finely chopped sage leaves. Follow it up by adding the finely chopped red onions and sauté until translucent.
- Season with ample celery sea salt and freshly milled black pepper.
- Remove half the mix for the marination and set aside.
- Into the same pan, with the other half, add in the finely sliced leeks and sauté.
- Add in the remaining salted butter and cubed French baguette. Allow it to crisp and turn golden brown.
- Let the stuffing cool.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C for 15 minutes.
- Marinate the whole chicken with the sage and onion marination.
- Lift the skin and place the marination between the skin and meat. Ensure you use all the marination and rub leftover marinade over the skin of the chicken.
- Truss the chicken legs and wings with toothpicks to or a trussing thread to secure.
- Place the chicken on a tray, breast side down (this ensures it stays moist), and apply remaining marinade on the back of the chicken.
- Bake at 200°C for 40 minutes, 30 minutes breast side down and breast side up for the last 10 minutes for an even browning.
- Take out of the oven, remove the toothpicks trussed together, and garnish with finely chopped parsley.
- Serve along with the pan juices and stuffing on the side.
Chef's Tip: Never stuff the bird with the stuffing; it always tastes better cooked and served separately.
translation missing: en.general.search.loading