Carrot Cake Recipe
Who knew carrot cake could taste so good? Kimberly Parsons shares a recipe.
250 g unsalted butter
375g castor sugar
Grated rind of 2 oranges
450 g carrots, grated
150 g pecans, chopped
1 tbsp vanilla essence
Juice of 1 orange
375 g plain flour
2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1 tsp allspice
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp salt
For the icing
125 g cream cheese
100 g mascarpone cheese
65 g unsalted butter, at room temperature
400 g icing sugar
1 tsp vanilla essence
All ingredients available at the nearest Foodhall stores.
For the cake
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C. Grease a 26 cm spring-form cake tin.
- Beat the butter, sugar and orange rind until they are light and fluffy. Slowly add the eggs, beating well to incorporate each addition fully before adding the next.
- Fold in the grated carrot and chopped nuts. Add the vanilla essence and orange juice.
- Finally, sift the flour, bicarbonate of soda, allspice, cinnamon and salt together, then fold into the cake mixture.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared spring-form tin and bake in the preheated oven for about 45-60 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool it in the tin. Once cooled, take it out of the tin and allow to cool further.
For the frosting
- To make the icing, mix the cream cheese, mascarpone and butter together until smooth. Add the icing sugar and vanilla essence, and beat until smooth. This frosting is rich thick and delicious.
- Spread the icing generously over the top and sides of the cake. Finish with a few pecan scattered over the top if desired.