Celebrate with Small Plates Recipe
Celebrate with Small Plates
If you want to bring a touch of global flavour to your festive table, our range of small plates pack a mighty punch. Slow-roasted vegetables deepen the flavour of our blushing Hummus; Jackfruit gets a makeover in our succulent Tacos, and our Vietnamese Summer Rolls are a winning combination of freshness and crunch. And they’re all vegan and vegetarian to boot!
ROASTED CARROT & BEETROOT HUMMUS
1 cup Carrots
1/2 cup Beetroot
1 tsp Garlic – minced
3 tbsp Tahini
Juice of 1 Lemon
Salt to taste
1/2 tsp Cumin Powder
6 tbsp Olive Oil
1 tsp Paprika
- Preheat oven to 200°C. Peel, dice and toss the carrots and beetroots with 2 tablespoons of the olive oil, salt, and pepper.
- Place them on a baking sheet and roast for 20 minutes or until tender and browning slightly around the edges.
- Place the roasted vegetables in a food processor with another 2 tablespoons of olive oil, salt, tahini, cumin, paprika, garlic, and lemon juice.
- Pulse to a smooth creamy paste. Adjust seasoning and drizzle with the remaining olive oil.
- Serve with pita bread or lavash.
PULLED JACKFRUIT & BLACK BEAN TACOS
Preparation Time- 10 mins
Cooking/ Baking Time- 20 mins
250g Raw Jackfruit, boiled and shredded
1 medium Onion, thinly sliced
1 tsp Garlic, chopped
1 cup Black Beans, boiled
2 tsp ground Cumin
1/2 tsp Chili Flakes
1-2 tsp Chipotle Chilli, chopped
2 tbsp Olive Oil
1 cup Red Cabbage, shredded
1 tbsp Lemon Juice
2 tbsp Refried Beans
4 tbsp Pico de Gallo
2 tbsp Chipotle Sour Cream
8 Soft Tortillas
Salt & Pepper to taste
1. Heat olive oil in a pan and add onion and garlic. Sauté for 4-5 minutes until softened and lightly caramelised.
2. Add jackfruit, black beans, cumin, chilli powder and chipotle chillies to the pan. Stir until well mixed and fry for 4-5 minutes until the jackfruit is slightly crisp around the edges. Season to taste
3. To make the red cabbage slaw, add lemon juice and salt to the red cabbage and set aside for 10 minutes.
4. Squeeze excess moisture from the cabbage and dress with a teaspoon of chipotle sour cream. Add more salt if required.
5. To assemble: Toast the taco and place refried beans and two spoonfuls of the jackfruit mixture in the centre. Top with pickled cabbage slaw, chipotle sour cream, pico de gallo and fresh cilantro.
VIETNAMESE SUMMER ROLLS
Preparation Time – 30minutes
20 Rice Paper Sheets
1/2 cup Carrot
1 cup Shredded Lettuce
1cup Shredded Cabbage
Handful Shredded Thai Basil
Handful Fresh Mint Leaves – torn
3 tbsp Sweet Chilli Sauce
1 tsp Sesame Oil
1 tsp Light Soy
1 tsp Brown Sugar
Salt to taste
1. Peel and cut the carrot and cucumber into matchstick-sized batons.
2. Add salt, sugar and soy to the vegetables and mix well, set aside for 20 minutes. Drain and squeeze out excess liquid. Add sesame oil and seasoning.
3. Dip the rice paper sheets in a bowl of room temperature water, moving it around until the wrapper is soft (around 20-30 seconds for each). Drain the excess water on a towel and place the sheet on the cutting board.
4. Place some of the shredded and marinated vegetables, shredded lettuce in the centre of the sheet. Add a few mint and basil leaves to one corner of the wrapper.
5. Holding the filling in position with your finger lift the edges of the wrapper over the filling and roll tightly. When about halfway along, fold the sides of the rice paper sheet in and over the filling so that it is completely enclosed. Continue to roll tightly until you reach the end. If your rice sheets are large, cut the summer roll into half diagonally at the centre.
6. Chill and serve with sweet chilli sauce or soy-ginger dressing .