Chocolate Cake Recipe
You can never go wrong with a classic chocolate cake. Try Shivesh Bhatia's recipe and celebrate with an old-fashioned cake.
For the cake
1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
¾ cups cocoa powder
½ tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
¾ cup vegetable oil
1 ½ cups sugar
½ tsp vanilla extract
¾ cup buttermilk
Salt to taste
340 g dark chocolate
227 g cream cheese, softened
½ cup butter, softened
3 cups icing sugar, sifted
- Pre-heat the oven to 170 degrees C. Oil the cake tin and dust pan with cocoa. Tap out to get rid of excess cocoa.
- Whisk cocoa, flour, salt, baking soda and baking powder into a bowl.
- In a large bowl, cream oil and sugar. Add eggs, one at a time and mix well after each addition. Beat in vanilla using mixer at low
- Add the flour mixture to the wet ingredients alternating with buttermilk, starting and ending with flour mixture. Beat until smooth.
- Pour the batter into pans and bake until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean
- Melt chocolate in a bowl set over a pan of simmering water, stirring until smooth. Let it cool.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and cream cheese until light and fluffy. Add icing sugar, one cup at a time, mixing well after each edition. Fold in the melted chocolate.
- Take the cooled cake and frost with the prepared cream cheese frosting.
- The best tool to do this would be an offset spatula.
- Garnish with fresh figs