Chocolate Hazelnut Cake Recipe
Trying your hand at baking? Start with the decadent Chocolate Hazelnut Cake instead.
For the cake:
1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cups cocoa powder
½ tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
3/4 cup oil
1 ½ cups sugar
2 tbsp Nutella
3/4 cup milk
½ cup hazelnuts, roasted and crushed
For the frosting
340 g dark chocolate
680 g cream cheese
1 cup confectioners’ sugar
10-12 hazelnuts, roasted and crushed for filling (optional)
Chocolate and coffee macarons for decoration
For the cake
- Pre-heat the oven to 170 degrees C. Oil the cake tin. Dust pans with cocoa, tap out extra.
- Whisk cocoa, flour, baking soda and baking powder into a bowl.
- In a large bowl, cream oil and sugar. Add Nutella and mix well. Add eggs, one at a time and mix well after each addition.
- Add the flour mixture to the wet ingredients alternating with milk, starting and ending with flour mixture. Beat until smooth
- Fold in the hazelnut.
- Pour the batter into 2 pans and bake until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean. This will take 30-40 minutes.
For the frosting
- Melt chocolate in bowl set over a pan of simmering water, stirring until smooth. Let it cool.
- In a large bowl, beat cream cheese and sugar. Mix on medium-high speed until pale and fluffy. Reduce speed to low.
- Mix in melted chocolate until combined.
- Keep a completely cooled flat layer of the chocolate hazelnut cake on the serving plate and cover with a generous layer of frosting. Sprinkle with hazelnuts
- Place the other layer of chocolate cake on it and cover entirely with frosting using an offset spatula.
- Decorate with macarons.