Basmati Rice; 1 cup
Split Black Gram Lentil or Urad Dal, washed; 1 cup
Ghee; 2 tbsp
Bay Leaf; 1
Cumin seeds; 1 tsp
Ginger, chopped; 1 tsp
Green Chilli, chopped; 1 tsp
Water or Vegetable Stock; 4 cups
Salt; to taste
Coconut Milk; 1 can
Fresh Coriander, chopped; 1 tsp
Kaffir Lime Leaves, chopped; to garnish
Toasted Peanuts, crushed; to garnish
- In a pressure cooker, heat ghee. Add bay leaf and temper with cumin seeds. Tip in chopped ginger and green chili to sauté.
- Tip in the split black gram lentil and basmati rice. Mix well.
- Add 4 cups of water, season with salt and mix well. Cook on high flame for the first whistle, then reduce the flame and cook for another 2 whistles.
- Cool for 10 to 15 minutes and add coconut milk. Mix well and adjust seasoning. Heat for 10 minutes. Take off heat, add fresh coriander and ghee.
- To serve, garnish with freshly chopped kaffir lime leaves and crushed peanuts.