Congee with Miso Sauce Recipe
A popular dish in Asian cuisine, Congee is a comforting rice porridge flavoured with traditionl Japanese miso sauce
1 cup short grain rice
5 cups chicken stock
1 carrot, thinly sliced
½ cup frozen peas
1 cup frozen corn or 1 whole corn on the cob
2 tbsp miso paste
1 tbsp soy sauce
2 garlic cloves, grated
Green onion, thinly sliced
2 half boiled eggs (optional)
All ingredients available at Foodhall stores.
- Clean the rice several times and then drop it in a saucepan along with the stock. If the stock does not have salt, you might have to add some according to your taste.
- Turn on the heat and bring it to a boil. Then, turn down the heat to low and allow it to simmer for at least an hour, stirring in between, until the rice is almost cooked through and turns into a porridge.
- Drop the carrots, corn and peas into the rice. Keep it on low heat for a few more minutes to completely cook the rice and then, turn off the heat.
- In a small bowl, whisk soy sauce, garlic, miso paste and 3 tablespoons of water. Pour half of the sauce into the porridge and give it a stir. Taste for salt and add any, if required.
- Sprinkle chopped green onions on top, drizzle the remaining sauce and serve warm along with soft boiled eggs.