Crispy Lotus Root with Honey & Chilli Recipe
In Japanese cuisine this dish is famously known as 'Kinpira'
500 g lotus stem, peeled & washed thoroughly
2 tbsp all-purpose flour
2 tbsp corn flour
Oil for deep frying
1 tbsp sesame oil
1 tbsp minced garlic
1 large onion, finely sliced
1 large green capsicum, cut into juliennes
1 large red capsicum, cut into juliennes
Arqa Salt and black pepper to taste
All ingredients are available at Foodhall stores
- Slice lotus stems diagonally, wash them and pat dry using clean kitchen towels.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the all-purpose flour, corn flour, salt and pepper. Add the sliced lotus stems and toss well to coat each piece with the flour mixture.
- In a pan heat oil over medium heat. Add the lotus stem pieces in small batches and deep fry till golden and crisp, and cooked through.
- Remove and drain on absorbent kitchen paper.
- In another pan, heat sesame oil over high flame, add garlic and stir-fry till fragrant and tender.
- Add the onion, coloured capsicums, spring onions and stir-fry till the vegetables are tender. Add tomato ketchup, soya sauce, chilli paste and honey. Mix well. Add the fried lotus stem and salt and toss well.
- Sprinkle over with sesame seeds and serve!