Brown rice; 3/4 cup
Parsley; 3 cups
Mint; 2 cups
Chives; 1 cup
Dried tarragon; 1 tbsp.
Onion; 2 cups
Garlic; 2 cloves
Tomato paste; 2 tbsp.
Grape leaves in brine; 1 jar
Fresh lemon juice; 1/4 cup
Oil; as required
Salt and pepper; as required
- Dice the onion and sauté in some oil until golden, add minced garlic and sauté.
- In boiling water, cook rice until 80% done and strain. Add the rice to sautéed onion and garlic. Add all the chopped fresh herbs.
- Dilute the tomato paste into 4 tablespoons of hot water and add to the rice mixture. Adjust seasoning and let cook for a few minutes.
- Add the dry fruits and raisins and mix well. Remove from heat and keep aside. Soak the grape leaves in water to rinse off the brine.
- Place some oil at the bottom of an ovenproof dish and spread all over. Arrange some grape leaves at the bottom of the dish making sure that the surface is covered.
- Take one grape leaf at the time. Place 1 tablespoon of the rice mixture on the leaf.
- Roll the leaf bringing in the sides so that the rice mixture is sealed in. Repeat the process and continue to make all the dolmeh rolls.
- Mix lemon juice with 3/4 cup of water and season with salt. Pour over the dolmehs, cover tightly with foil, and bake at 175 degree C for an hour and half.
Red Quinoa Tabouleh