Eggplant Parmigiana Recipe
A perfect Italian picnic food made with ripe tomatoes, creamy mozzarella and eggplant.
For the sauce:
3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 bunch fresh basil leaves
1 ltr canned peeled plum tomatoes, crushed
Arqa salt to taste
For the eggplant:
2 medium eggplants, cut into 1 cm thick discs
2 large balls of buffalo mozzarella (Available at Foodhall)
1½ cups parmesan cheese, freshlly grated (Available at Foodhall)
150 g smoked scarmoza cheese, shredded (Available at Foodhall)
500 ml extra virgin olive oil (Available at Foodhall)
For the tomato sauce:
- In a pan, heat the olive oil, add the garlic and crushed tomatoes and let it cook for five minutes. Stir it a couple of times and season well with salt. Keep aside and garnish with freshly torn basil.
Note: You can also add a simple pomodoro sauce to this recipe.
For the eggplant:
- In a large pan, add the olive oil and let it heat till it is hot enough to fry eggplant slices. Once the oil is hot, drop in the eggplant and fry them until crisp and golden brown. Place them on paper towels to soak all the extra oil. Season it with salt.
- Preheat the oven to 180 degree Celsius.
- In a baking pan, add one thick layer of tomato sauce, layer the eggplant slices and sprinkle a generous bit of scarmoza cheese, mozzarella, grated parmesan and finish it with another layer of tomato sauce and some basil.
- Repeat the process to make 2 – 3 layers. Make sure your last layer consists of tomato sauce and a thick layer of all the cheeses.
- Bake it for 15 – 20 minutes, till you see the top of the layer in the pan crisp and golden.
- Turn off the oven and let it cool for another hour inside the oven and an hour at room temperature.
- Garnish with fresh basil and serve.