French Onion Grilled Cheese Recipe
Make your grilled cheese a culinary masterpiece - French onion style.
1 tbsp unsalted butter + more for grilling
½ tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 medium white onion, thinly sliced
4 slices of sourdough or whole wheat bread
1 tsp fresh parsley
12 thin slices of Swiss cheese
All ingredients are available at Foodhall stores
- In a cast iron pan, add 1 tbsp butter and oil. Heat it till the butter melts.
- Add the sliced onions and cook over low heat for 30 minutes. Do not stir the onions too much. It needs to gently cook, caramelize to turn dark brown in colour.
- Once it turn colour, add the chopped fresh parsley and set it aside.
- Heat up a new skillet till medium hot.
- Butter each slice of bread. Place two slices of bread, butter side down, on the pan.
- Add three slices of cheese on each slice of bread. Wait till it gently melts.
- Add some of the caramelized onions on one slice, when the cheese looks melted enough, sandwich the two slices of bread together. Gently pressed down and take it off the pan.
- Serve immediately.