Kashundi Chicken Sandwich Recipe
An instant meal or instant snacking, Kankana Saxena's recipe is to die for!
2 chicken breasts, skinless and boneless
2 bay leaf
4 garlic cloves
1 tbsp butter
1 tbsp all-purpose flour
1 cup milk
3 tbsp kashundi
1 tbsp honey
Few capers (optional)
1 bunch lettuce leaves, cleaned and leaves separated
1 medium red onion, thinly sliced
1 cucumber, thinly sliced few cheese slices (optional)
Bread for sandwich
Salt to taste
- In a big pan, place the chicken breasts in one layer and pour enough water to cover it. Season with salt and drop the bay leaves along with garlic cloves. Bring the water to a boil. Then, lower the heat to medium, cover the pan and allow it to simmer for about 10 to 12 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through.
- Once done, take it off the water and place it on a chopping board. Using two forks, start shredding the chicken breast. Keep it aside to be used later.
- In a separate pan, melt the butter. Then, add flour and keep whisking while allowing the flour to cook for a minute. Next, pour milk and keep stirring until the flour is mixed and the sauce thickens a little.
- Scatter the shredded chicken breast and give it a mix. Switch off the heat; add mustard sauce, honey, and capers. Give it one last mix. Check for salt and add any, if required. If it looks too dry, add a little milk.
- For the sandwich, place a slice of cheese at the bottom, then layer the lettuce leaves, followed by the creamy mustard chicken. Top it with few a slices of onion and cucumber.
Notes: To test if the chicken is cooked, use a fork or a knife and prick right in the middle. If the chicken is cooked, clear juice should run out.