Lemon Rosemary Scones Recipe
Scones for your next Party? Try Amrita Rana's tried and tested recipe.
Cook Time: 30 minutes + 15 minutes bake time
Serves: 6-8 people
1/3 cup cold butter
2 cups flour, plus a little extra for dusting
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp castor sugar
Pinch of sea salt
Zest of 1 big Meyer lemon
Handful of fresh rosemary
2 tbsp cold milk
Egg wash for brushing (egg white + water mixed)
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees C.
- In a mixing bowl, place the butter, flour, baking powder, sugar and sea salt. Using your fingers, mix all the ingredients until the butter is incorporated well. In the centre of the dough, make a well and crack the eggs into it along with the milk. Fold it in with a spatula.
- Add the lemon zest and rosemary. Add a tiny splash of milk if needed, until you have a soft, dry dough. Wrap in clingfilm and pop it into the fridge for 15 minutes.
- Roll the dough out on a lightly floured surface and cut using a round cutter. This helps in even rising of the dough. Brush the top of each scone with egg wash and lay them out on a baking tray lined with baking paper.
- Bake in the oven for 12 to 15 minutes, or until risen and golden.
- Get the scones out of the oven and serve warm with clotted cream and a little jam.
‘Tis the season… for strawberries!