250 g barley
2.5 lts water and salt, mixed well
300 g cherry tomatoes, quartered
150 g snow peas, thinly sliced
300 g sprouting broccoli, bite size
15 ml olive oil
150 g broad beans, shelled
80 g walnuts
1 avocado, cubed
sea salt and black pepper to taste
For the dressing
5 strands of saffron
250 ml Greek yoghurt
100 ml Dijon mustard
2 lemons, juiced and zest
60 ml olive oil
1 garlic clove
Sea salt and black pepper to taste
- Add barley in boiling water and simmer covered for 35 – 40 minutes until the barley is soft yet slightly chewy. Drain excess water.
- Blitz dressing ingredients in a blender and season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Wash and slice cherry tomatoes, snow peas, sprouting broccoli and shell broad beans.
- Toss broccoli in olive oil, salt and pepper. Heat a frying pan and cook for 1-2 minutes until broccoli is almost cooked.
- Combine the dressing and barley coating evenly. Toss in the vegetables and top with walnuts and avocado.
- Season and serve.