4 eggplants (long and thin)
1 tbsp sesame oil
2 tbsp miso paste
2 tbsp mirin (Available at Foodhall)
1 tbsp brown sugar
1 tbsp sesame seeds
Greens of spring onion for garnish
- Slice the eggplants in halves and using a knife, scour the flesh in a criss-cross pattern. Sprinkle a pinch of salt and set aside for 5-10 mins. Squeeze out any extra water if has released.
- Preheat the oven to 200 C.
- Heat some oil in a pan. Place the eggplant with the skin facing down. Cook for few mins until the skin you can see the charred grill marks. Turn the eggplants over and cover with a lid. Cook for about 5 min they should cook through.
- In a bowl, mix miso, mirin, and sugar and baste it liberally over the eggplants and lay out on a baking sheet. Make sure the entire eggplant has enough of the miso mix.
- Grill on upper rack for about five minutes or until the miso mix starts bubbling. Sprinkle sesame and greens on top and serve hot.