Pajeon (Scallion Pancakes) Recipe
Preparation Time – 15 mins
Cooking Time – 20 mins
For the savoury pancakes:
1/2 cup carrot
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup rice flour
2 tablespoon cornstarch
1/4 teaspoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
250 ml water
1 teaspoon soybean paste
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 large garlic clove, peeled and grated
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
For the Dipping Sauce:
1/3 cup low sodium soy sauce
2 tablespoons honey
2 tablespoons rice vinegar
2 tablespoons water
1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
2 cloves garlic, peeled and grated
1. Combine the ingredients to make the sauce in a ams all pan and allow the mixture to come to a boil, store and turn the heat down. Simmer for 5 to 7 minus, until slightly reduced and thickened. Keep aside.
2. Slice the scallion into 1 – inch pieces. Cut the carrots into very skinny matchsticks (or julienne).
3. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, cornstarch, sugar, soybean paste and salt. Pour in water (in batches – to adjust the thickness), egg, garlic & stir gently to combine. Fold in half of the scallions and all carrots.
4. Heat oil in a non-stick pan and put the green onion parallel to each other, in the shape of a rectangle. Pour the batter over the green onion evenly.
5. Once bottom is crispy and golden, flip the pancake to cook the other side. Cook a few more minutes and flip it or turn it over for both sides to be cooked, golden & crisp. Served hot with the dipping sauce.