Recipe of the Week | Som Tam Recipe
(Authentic Thai Raw Papaya Salad)
Preparation Time- 10mins
Total Time- 15mins
2 cloves of garlic
4-5 Bird’s eye Chilli/ Thai red chilli
2 tablespoon roasted peanuts
1 tablespoon fish sauce
1 tablespoon Palm Sugar/ Brown Sugar
Lime juice- as required
1-2 Thai small tomato (specially used for Som tam)
300gm/ 1 big slivered raw green papaya
2-3 pcs of Long beans/ green beans
Handful of Thai sweet basil
Crushed roasted Peanuts (garnish)
- 1. Peel the skin and wash the raw papaya, using a shredder or knife, make long shreds or julienne or can hack at the papaya with sharp knife until there are numerous vertical cuts, then shave off the top layer into thin slivers, and repeat.
- Add cloves of peeled garlic and Thai chillies to the mortar and using a pestle pound them for a few seconds until the garlic is crushed and chilies are reduced to small bits.
- Add ½ tablespoon of palm sugar, 1 tablespoon of fish sauce, and then squeeze the juice from 1 – 2 limes into the mortar. If required adjust seasoning as per taste. Mix and pound the dressing, making sure the palm sugar is fully dissolved into the liquid.
- Add about some roasted peanuts, finger length long beans and roughly sliced tomatoes into the mortar. Pound the mixture for about 30 seconds, lightly breaking up the beans, tomato and peanut.
- Toss in a big handful of the green papaya shavings. Mix all together, with a combination of using a spoon and pounding lightly, making sure the dressing is coating all the green papaya and that the salad is evenly mixed.