Vegetable Broth; 6 cups
Japanese Soy Sauce; 2+2 tbsp
Light Miso Paste; 1 tbsp
Spring Onion Bulb, diced; 1/2 cup
Ginger, crushed; 1 tbsp
Garlic, crushed; 2 tsp
Star Anise; 2
Silken Tofu, diced; 1 block
Rice Vinegar; 2 tsp
Harissa Paste; 1 tsp
Soba Noodles; 500g
Pak Choi; 2
Shiitake Mushroom, soaked and sliced; 1/2 cup
Spring Onion, chopped; 2 tbsp
Togarashi Spice Mix; 1 tsp
Sesame Seeds; 1/2 tsp
- Preheat an oven to 180 degrees C.
- In a big pot, combine vegetable broth, 2 tablespoons of Japanese soy sauce, light miso paste, diced spring onions bulbs, star anise and 1 teaspoon each of crushed ginger and garlic. Cover and simmer for an hour.
- On a baking tray place the diced tofu and bake for 10 to 12 minutes.
- In a bowl, whisk rice vinegar, harissa sauce, rest of the Japanese soy sauce, crushed ginger and garlic. Tip in the tofu, coat thoroughly and marinade for 30 minutes.
- Arrange the marinated tofu on baking tray. Bake for 10 minutes till the tofu is crisp from corners. Keep aside to cool.
- Boil soba noodles in water until cooked. Drain and keep aside to cool.
- In a pan, heat vegetable oil. Cook quartered pak choy till lightly caramelised.
- Add sliced shiitake mushrooms and cook till soft. Season to taste.
- To assemble, divide tofu, noodles, pak choy and shiitake mixture between four large soup bowls. Ladle over the hot broth and garnish with chopped spring onion greens, sesame seeds, Togarashi spice mix and serve immediately.