1 cup sushi rice
1½ cup water
¼ cup white wine vinegar
200 g firm tofu
1 medium red onion
Few lettuce leaves
3 tablespoon mayonnaise
1½ tbsp wasabi paste
2 garlic cloves, grated
¼ cup Arqa Togarashi spice
1 tbsp black sesame seeds
1 tbsp salt
All ingredients are available at Foodhall stores
- Rinse the sushi rice in a colander until the water runs clear. Put it in a saucepan along with water and bring it to boil. Then lower the heat and simmer for about 20 minutes or until the water is absorbed. Cool the rice until it’s easy to handle.
- Put the rice in a mixing bowl and pour vinegar along with salt. Give a mix and then try to form the bun shape.
- To form the sushi buns, you could either form the shape with wet hands or use a round cookie cutter. Place the cookie cutter on a board and press down couple tablespoons of the cooked rice. Press it down using the back of your spoon and since the rice is sticky, it should easily hold the shape. Take off the cookie cutter gently and place the rice bun on a different plate. Continue making rest of the sushi buns the same way.
- Next make the wasabi mayonnaise by whisking mayonnaise with wasabi and grated garlic. Keep it aside to be used later.
- Take the red onion and slice it thickly like rings to place in between the sushi buns. Once done, keep aside to be used later.
- Take the firm tofu out of the packet and very carefully slice it using the cookie cutter to form the same shape that of the sushi buns. If you find it difficult, then just slice it thin and you could layer multiple slices of tofu in one burger.
- Heat a small pan with 2 tbsp oil.
- In a plate sprinkle Arqa Togarashi spice and rub the tofu slices with the spice. Then fry it on the hot pan for a couple minutes on both the sides. Keep it aside to be used later.
- Similarly, rub the sushi buns with the togarashi spice and then very gently fry the sushi buns on the same pan. Just until they look golden brown! Should take about a minute on a hot pan. Be very careful at this step, as the rice buns could be fragile.
- Now that all the components of the burger are ready you can assemble it. Place few lettuce leaves, slices onion, togarashi spice fried tofu slices and spread a generous amount of the wasabi mayo for that ultimate smack!
- Sprinkle some black sesame seeds on top and serve immediately.