Sweet Potato Soup Recipe
Hearty soup for cold days.
750g sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
2 onions, cut into chunks
½ tbsp. Arqa cumin
1 tsp Arqa coriander powder
3 cloves garlic
1 fresh red or green chilli
1 cup of fresh chopped coriander + stalks
125g red lentils from Traditions by Foodhall, washed
400ml light coconut milk
1L vegetable stock
¼ cup lime juice
Salt & pepper
All ingredients are available at Foodhall stores
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C
- In a large bowl, toss together the sweet potatoes and onions with cumin, coriander powder, salt, pepper and olive oil.
- Place them in a roasting tray and pop in the oven for 40 to 45 minutes, or until cooked and golden.
- Peel and finely slice the garlic, then finely slice the chilli and prep the coriander stalks.
- Place a large saucepan over a medium heat and pour in olive oil to sauté the garlic, chilli and coriander stalks for a minute.
- Add the red lentils to the pan, then pour in the hot stock and coconut milk.
- Turn up the heat, gently bring it to the boil, then let it come to a simmer. Cook the lentils for 20 minutes until they are completely broken down.
- Take the vegetables out of the oven and carefully transfer it into the pan. Add half a cup of coriander leaves, and then blitz the soup with a stick blender. You should be looking for a creamy consistency which has a little texture to it.
- Add in some lime juice to taste and adjust the seasoning if needed.
- Serve the hot soup topped with the remaining coriander leaves and toasted coconut shavings as a garnish.