Tuna Tartare with Avocado Recipe
Kimberly Parson shares a restaurant styled dish of Tuna Tartare with Avocado & Marinated Beetroot.
350 g cooked beetroot, diced into 1cm cubes
2 tbsp sherry vinegar
2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
1 tbsp castor sugar
3 avocados, halved, seeded & diced into 1cm cubes
Juice of 1 lime
2 tbsp sweet chilli sauce
1 tbsp fresh coriander leaves, finely chopped
Sea salt & freshly cracked black pepper
750 g yellow fin tuna, diced into 1cm cubes
75 g feta, drained & coarsely crumbled
2 tbsp pistachio oil
All ingredients are available at Foodhall stores.
You will need three medium sized bowls for this recipe.
Bowl 1: Beetroot
- Start by marinating the beetroot by placing the sherry and balsamic vinegars with the sugar in a bowl. Stir to dissolve the sugar and then add the diced beetroot, and stir to coat then set aside.
Bowl 2: Avocado
- Now prepare the avocado mixture by adding the diced avocado to another medium sized bowl and stirring in the lime juice, sweet chilli sauce and fresh coriander. Taste for seasoning and add sea salt and freshly cracked black pepper as needed.
Bowl 3: Tuna
- Now place diced tuna into the final medium sized bowl.
- Place all the bowls in the refrigerator.
- When ready to serve, remove all bowls from the refrigerator and line individual serving plates along bench top.
- Drain the beetroot, removing all the liquid from the bowl.Now place the ring mould at the centre of a serving plate and using a spoon, place a layer of tuna at the bottom of the mould. Pack tuna down firmly with the back of the spoon. Once firm, add the marinated beetroot mixture by spooning 3 tablespoons on top of the tuna, pack down firmly with the back of a spoon again and then add the final layer of avocado mixture.
- Once the ring mould is firmly packed, slowly remove the mould and repeat the process for each individual plate. You should see three separate layers of ingredients, each being equally layered.
- Once all the rings have been assembled, crumble the feta cheese over each individual mound and drizzle a little pistachio oil over each and serve immediately