Cinnamon sticks; 2
Star anise; 2
White onion; 1 large; peeled and quartered
Fresh ginger; 4 inch piece; peeled and halved
Vegetable stock; 8 cups
Soy sauce; 2 tbsp.
Rice noodles; 250g; cooked
Vegetable oil; 1 tbsp.
Shiitake mushrooms; 200g; sliced
Salt as required
Garnish- Bean sprouts, fresh basil, fresh mint, thinly slices green onion, sliced green jalapeno/ chilli, lemon wedge.
1. Place a stock pot over medium heat and add the cinnamon sticks, cloves, and star anise and toast until fragrant, stirring occasionally. Add the onion, ginger and soy to the vegetable stock.
2. Bring the mixture to a boil and simmer for 30 mins. In the meantime, prepare rice noodles according to package directions. Set them aside.
3. Warm oil in a wok and add the shiitake mushrooms and season with a pinch of salt. Cook for 5 minutes or until the mushrooms are tender and lightly browned.
4. Once the broth is done, strain the onions, ginger and spices. Season it to taste with soy sauce and check for salt to balance the flavours of the spices.
5. In a bowl assemble the noodles and cooked mushrooms. Ladle the broth into bowls and top this with fresh garnishes. Serve immediately.